Section 1: Purpose.
The First Year Council, abbreviated hereafter as FYC, shall represent first year students at The University of Alabama. The FYC shall provide first year students with experiences in the legislative branch of the SGA.
Section 2: Composition and allocation of seats.
- The FYC shall be a body of sixty-five first year students.
- Members will be selected from their respective campus residence halls. The council seats shall be allocated in proportion to the first year student populations within the residence halls. Each residence hall with a first year population shall be allocated at least one council seat.
- Three seats in the FYC shall be designated as “At-Large Seats.” These seats will serve the purpose of representing first year students who do not live in residence halls.
Section 3: Duties and responsibilities of the FYC.
- The FYC shall function as a member of the legislative branch through
- Developing and passing resolutions that express the sentiment of first year students;
- Developing and passing Acts or Bills of the First Year Council.
- The FYC shall function as a lower chamber to the SGA Senate when passing Acts or Bills of the First Year Council.
Section 4: Selection
- FYC members shall be selected no earlier than the fourth week of class during the fall semester and no later than the sixth week of class during the fall semester.
- The Executive Secretary shall blind all applications received for First Year Council. The Executive Vice President, along with at least two former First Year Councilors, shall review blinded applications and reduce the number to an amount appropriate for interviewing.
- Interviews shall be conducted by a committee composed of two designates from the executive, legislative, and judicial branches as well as one representatives from the Residence Hall Association and the Dean of Students Office.
- The President shall designate the representatives from the executive branch.
- The Speaker of the Senate shall designate the representatives from the legislative branch.
- The Chief Justice shall designate the representatives from the judicial branch.
- The President of the Residence Hall Association shall designate the representative from the Residence Hall Association.
- The Executive Vice President shall serve as a non-voting member except in the case of a tie amongst the votes cast by the eight voting members of the committee.
- Those selected to serve as members of FYC shall be certified by a majority vote (fifty percent plus one vote) of the SGA Senate.
- In the case of vacated seats in the First Year Council, the Executive Vice President shall appoint a first year student from the residence hall having said vacant seat to be certified by a majority vote (fifty percent plus one vote) of the SGA Senate.
Section 5: Organization and FYC procedures.
- The FYC shall organize through provisions in the Code of Laws.
- The FYC shall follow procedures for passing legislation as specified in the Code of Laws.
Section 6: Reporting channel.
- The Executive Vice President shall oversee FYC and coordinate executive branch interactions.
- The Speaker of the Senate shall empower a staff member of the Senate to coordinate FYC legislative branch interactions.